Should you’re desirous about getting a brand new cellphone, you’re in all probability questioning about the easiest way to switch your private knowledge reminiscent of photographs, movies, messages, and contacts from one cellphone to a different. We are going to clarify intimately how to do this whether or not you’re making the soar from Android to Android, iPhone to iPhone, iPhone to Android, and vice versa.
Switch Contacts From Android to Android
There are two methods to switch contacts from an Android to a different Android cellphone.
1. Google Sync
Syncing contacts to your Google account is without doubt one of the best methods to switch contacts between Android telephones. For the unaware, while you sync contacts, any change that you just make on one machine will robotically mirror on different gadgets. This consists of including, enhancing, or deleting contacts.
This technique to switch contacts proves extraordinarily sensible if you wish to preserve contacts on each telephones. Nevertheless, you can too use it to switch contacts.
- Open Settings in your first Android cellphone.
- Go to “Passwords & Accounts”.
- Choose your Google account.
- Faucet on “Account sync”.
- Allow the toggle subsequent to Contacts.
Tip: On Samsung Galaxy telephones, go to “Settings→ Accounts & backup→ Handle accounts→ [Your Google account]→ Sync account→ Contacts”.
- Now, let the contacts sync for some time.
- In your second cellphone, log in with the identical Google account and repeat the above steps to port the contacts to it. Your contacts will robotically seem on the second cellphone.
- In case your second or new cellphone isn’t with you but, go to contacts.google.com and log in with the identical Google account.
- Examine and confirm that every one contacts have synced correctly. Now, everytime you get your new Android cellphone, comply with steps #1 to #4 to sync the contacts.
- If you wish to give away the primary cellphone, make certain to not delete the synced contacts from the primary cellphone manually. That’s as a result of these contacts are nonetheless syncing to your Google account. Should you delete them from the primary cellphone, they are going to get deleted from the second cellphone as nicely. It is best to both format the primary cellphone or flip off contact sync on the primary cellphone. For that, repeat steps #1 to #3 and switch off the toggle subsequent to Contacts. Then, delete the contacts.
2. Import and Export Contacts
The concept behind this technique is to create a CSV file out of your contacts and ship it to the brand new cellphone. Then, add the contacts utilizing the CSV file on the brand new cellphone. Right here’s how to take action utilizing the Google Contacts app.
- Open the app in your first cellphone.
- Faucet on “Repair & handle” tab on the backside.
- Subsequent, choose “Export to file.”
Tip: On some Android telephones, you may must faucet on the profile image icon on the high and choose Contacts app settings adopted by Export.
- A .CSV file shall be created. Faucet on Save to obtain the CSV file in your cellphone.
- Now, you should ship this file to the brand new cellphone. You may e-mail it, ship it by way of chat apps, switch it utilizing a USB cable, or some other sharing technique that you just like. As soon as despatched, obtain the CSV file on the second cellphone.
Professional Tip: You must also again up this file to Google Drive or some other cloud storage service to be on the safer facet.
- In your second Android cellphone, open the Google Contacts app. You will be logged into any Gmail account as this technique works independently of your Gmail account.
- Faucet on “Repair & handle”.
- This time round select “Import from file”.
- You may want to pick the vacation spot the place you need to save the contacts to. Select a Google account if you would like contacts to sync to your Google account. It is a higher possibility. Or, faucet on System if you would like contacts to retailer regionally in your new cellphone.
- Choose the CSV file that you just downloaded in step #4. The contacts within the CSV file shall be added to your Android cellphone.
Tip: On Samsung Galaxy telephones, open the Samsung Contacts app and faucet on the three-bar icon adopted by “Handle contacts”. Then, faucet on Export or Import relying on the step.
We even have a information which explains the way to export and import contacts between Androids utilizing the native import and export options within the Contacts app on OnePlus telephones.
Should you’re making the swap from an Android machine to iOS, you even have a number of strategies at your disposal.
1. Utilizing Transfer to iOS App
Apparently, Apple gives an Android app known as Transfer to iOS that lets customers switch knowledge together with contacts from Android to a brand new iPhone. The one disadvantage of this technique is that you should use it when you find yourself organising the iPhone for the primary time. Examine our earlier put up the place we element the steps on the way to use the Transfer to iOS app to switch contacts from Android to iPhone.
2. Sync Google Contacts to iPhone
On iPhone, you’ll be able to sync and add contacts from companies like Google, which may be very useful in transferring contacts. On this technique, you’ll first must sync your Android contacts to your Google account after which add the identical account in your iPhone.
- In your Android cellphone, comply with steps #1 to #4 talked about within the Google sync technique above. Then, comply with steps #6 to #7 from the identical technique.
- Then, in your iPhone, go to “Settings→ Contacts→ Accounts”.
- Faucet on “Add Account” and choose Google. Add the Google account that you just utilized in step #1 to sync the contacts.
- As soon as the account has been added, return to “Settings→ Contacts→ Accounts”.
- Faucet on Gmail and allow the toggle subsequent to Contacts. Wait a bit with the intention to permit all contacts sync.
- Open the “Apple Contacts” app and you must now see your Google contacts in it.
- Should you don’t spot the Google contacts, faucet on Teams on the high and allow the toggle subsequent to “All Gmail”.
Notice: Since we’ve synced the contacts on this technique, any change that you just make to the contacts in your iPhone or Android will mirror on the opposite machine as nicely.
3. Export Contacts From Android and Import to iPhone
This technique entails exporting contacts from an Android cellphone as a CSV file and importing them to the iPhone. As soon as the contacts are imported to iPhone, they are going to don’t have anything to do with the contacts in your Android cellphone. You may edit or delete them on Android and it’ll not have an effect on the iPhone contacts.
- In your Android cellphone, comply with steps #1-4 talked about below the “Import and Export” Android part to export your contacts.
- Subsequent, e mail the CSV file to the e-mail added in your iPhone.
- In your iPhone, open the e-mail or some other app the place you despatched the CSV file to.
- Faucet on the CSV file to view the contacts in it. Then, hit the “Add All Contacts” button to import them to your iOS machine. The contacts within the CSV file shall be transferred to your iPhone.
Tip: In case tapping on the CSV file doesn’t open it, faucet on it once more and hit the Share button. Choose the Contacts app and press the “Add All Contacts” possibility.
For these leaving the iOS ecosystem behind, right here’s how one can safely port your contacts to your model new Android machine.
1. Export Contacts From iCloud and Import to Android
To export contacts from iPhone, you could first sync the contacts to iCloud. Then, use the iCloud internet model to export contacts like we’re going to display under.
- Open Settings in your iPhone.
- Faucet in your title on the high and hit the iCloud possibility.
- Scroll down and allow the toggle subsequent to Contacts.
- Now, go to iCloud.com from a browser in your laptop and log in with the identical Apple ID that’s registered in your iPhone.
- Click on on Contacts.
- Click on on the Settings gear icon on the backside.
- Select “Choose All” from the menu to pick all of the contacts.
- Click on the identical Settings icon once more.
- Click on on “Export vCard” from the choices accessible.
- Obtain the CSV file in your laptop.
- Ship the CSV file to your Android cellphone by e-mailing it or by way of some other technique.
- Now, in your Android cellphone, faucet on the CSV file that you just obtained in step #9 to obtain it in your cellphone.
- Open the Google Contacts app.
- Faucet on “Repair & handle” on the backside.
- Press on “Import from file”.
- Choose the CSV file from step #10 so as to add iPhone contacts to Android.
2. Backup iPhone Contacts to Google Contacts Utilizing Google Drive
The Google Drive app gives a backup wizard on iPhone that permits you to backup contacts, calendar occasions, and photographs and movies. We shall be utilizing this function to switch contacts from iPhone to Android. Mainly, these contacts shall be added to Google Contacts that you must then sync to your Android cellphone.
- Set up the Google Drive app in your iPhone.
- Open the app and log in with the Google account that you just intend to make use of in your Android cellphone as nicely.
- Faucet on the three-bar icon on the high and choose Settings from the menu.
- Faucet on Backup.
- You will note three choices – Contacts, Calendar occasions, and Photographs & movies. Faucet on Contacts.
- Now, allow the toggle subsequent to “Again as much as Google Contacts”.
- Return and faucet on “Calendar occasions” and “Photographs & movies” and switch off the toggle subsequent to them in case you don’t need to again up them.
- As soon as performed, press the “Begin Backup” possibility. Anticipate Google Drive to backup the contacts.
- Now, in your Android cellphone, comply with steps #1 to #4 talked about within the Google sync part above. That’s, go to “Settings→ Accounts→ [Same Google account used in Google Drive]→ Account sync”.
- Activate the toggle for Contacts.
- The contacts out of your iPhone ought to present up in your Android cellphone. Please be aware that this can be a one-way technique. It is not going to preserve your iPhone contacts in sync with these on Android sooner or later.
Should you’re simply upgrading to a brand new iOS machine, you’ve got two easy choices at your disposal relating to porting your contacts.
1. Utilizing iCloud Sync
Transferring contacts from iPhone to iPhone is sort of simple. You simply must be logged into the identical Apple IDs on each iPhones.
- Open Settings in your first iPhone.
- Faucet in your title on the high and go to iCloud.
- Allow the toggle subsequent to Contacts. This could sync your iPhone contacts to iCloud.
- Now, in your second iPhone, repeat steps #1 to #3. That ought to sync the contacts from the primary iPhone to the brand new iPhone. Please just be sure you have added the identical Apple ID on the second cellphone as nicely.
This technique will preserve the contacts in sync with one another. Should you don’t need that to occur, then flip off the toggle subsequent to Contacts in step #3 on the primary cellphone after all of the contacts present up in your second iPhone. Alternatively, you need to use the following technique.
2. Export Contacts From iPhone and Import on One other
If you wish to switch contacts between two iPhones which might be utilizing two completely different Apple IDs, you are able to do it by the export and import technique.
- Observe steps #1 to #8 talked about below the “Export From iCloud and Import to Android” part to create a CSV file from contacts in your first cellphone. Obtain it.
- Upon getting the CSV file, open iCloud.com once more in a browser in your laptop and now login with the second Apple ID.
Tip: Should you don’t have a pc, e-mail the CSV file to the second iPhone. Open the e-mail and faucet on the CSV file. Then, faucet on Add all contacts.
- Click on on Contacts.
- Click on on the Settings icon and choose “Import vCard” from the menu.
- Choose the CSV file that you just downloaded in step #1.
- The contacts from one Apple ID shall be transferred to the second. Now, add the second Apple ID to your second iPhone.
- Go to “Settings→ [Your name]→ iCloud” in your second iPhone.
- Allow the toggle subsequent to Contacts to sync the contacts.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
What’s the distinction between backup and sync?
Again up is a one-time and one-way course of. Once you again up contacts out of your cellphone, these get saved within the cloud storage. Any change that you just make to the contacts in your cellphone after making a backup is not going to mirror within the backup. You’ll have to create a backup once more if you wish to incorporate the adjustments within the backup.
Quite the opposite, sync is a steady and two-way course of. Once you sync contacts between telephones, any change that you just make on one cellphone will present up on the opposite cellphone as nicely.
Must you again up or sync contacts?
I’d recommend each. It is best to sometimes again up your contacts. That is helpful in case you lose contacts on account of an unintentional deletion. Concurrently, you must also preserve the contacts in sync.
What is supposed by default account in contacts?
Is this text helpful?
Subscribe to our publication!
Our newest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox