The 2022 NFL Draft was fairly good to the Florida Gators, who had three gamers chosen, together with one within the first spherical.
Florida State may brag about having a first-rounder. UCF had one participant picked, late within the sixth spherical, and the Miami Hurricanes had a seventh-rounder.
However that was it in an off yr for Florida faculties.
Dade/Broward excessive faculties fared comparatively effectively as 4 from that class acquired chosen, together with three within the second spherical. In reality, two South Florida gamers have been chosen on consecutive picks in Spherical 2.
Right here’s a more in-depth take a look at the non-College of Miami gamers with native ties who acquired chosen:
Florida cornerback Kair Elam went within the first spherical, twenty third total, to the Payments. Elam was Florida’s eighth first-rounder up to now 9 years.
▪ FSU defensive finish Jermaine Johnson II was picked within the first spherical, twenty sixth total, by the New York Jets. ESPN’s Mel Kiper had him ranked eleventh total. The Jets had him eighth on their board, and so they traded as much as get him.
The Seminoles have had not less than one participant drafted in 39 consecutive drafts, the eighth-longest streak within the nation. They’ve had 46 first-rounders, which ranks high 10 amongst all packages.
Johnson was the ACC Participant of the Yr and a first-team All-American in 2021, producing 18 tackles for losses and 12 sacks. He had 5 TFL and three sacks in opposition to Miami.
▪ Within the second spherical, at choose No. 50, extensive receiver Tyquan Thornton was chosen by the Patriots. Thornton, who performed at Miami’s Booker T. Washington, had a profession yr at Baylor in 2021, catching 62 passes for 948 yards and 10 touchdowns. He made second-team All-Huge-12 and left Baylor high 10 in program historical past in receiving yards and touchdowns.
▪ Within the second spherical, at No. 63, ex-Miami Central working again James Cook dinner was picked up by the Payments. He gained a nationwide title with the Georgia Bulldogs final season, and a Tremendous Bowl title with Buffalo is now inside his grasp.
In 2021, Cook dinner had profession highs in yards speeding (728) and touchdowns (seven). He averaged 6.7 yards per rush.
▪ The following choose went to the Broncos, who picked ex-St. Thomas Aquinas defensive finish Nik Bonitto, who performed his faculty ball at Oklahoma. Previously three years, he produced 33 tackles for losses, 19.5 sacks, seven passes defensed and three turnovers.
Bonitto began 30 consecutive video games to shut his profession, making second-team All-American in 2020 and third-team All-American in 2021.
▪ Within the third spherical, at choose 95, Florida defensive deal with Zachary Carter went to the Bengals. Carter, who had 7.5 sacks final yr, is a high-motor defender who is predicted to compete for rotational enjoying time instantly.
▪ Within the fourth spherical, at choose No. 107, Florida working again Dameon Pierce was picked by the Texans. He rushed for 574 yards and a 5.7 common in 2021.
▪ Within the sixth spherical, at No. 217, ex-American Heritage linebacker James Houston was picked by the Lions. He began his faculty profession at Florida however completed at Jackson State.
▪ Within the sixth spherical, at No. 220, UCF acquired on the board with defensive deal with Kalia Davis getting chosen by the 49ers.
Kiper stated Davis would’ve been a second- or third-round choose had he not suffered a season-ending knee harm final yr. Davis, who got here to UCF as a linebacker, additionally missed the 2020 season attributable to COVID issues.